
Hello world :). Today is a wonderful day full of bright, vibrant sunshine, gorgeous shades of green, blue, and pink, and juicy, just-picked strawberries that are delightfully delicious. :)
Usually I am a failure at getting things done, especially on a Saturday, but I must admit that today has been different. The one thing worth mentioning on my list of "things to do" was to go to a nearby cemetery, and remember. Remember the scores of soldiers that have died on behalf of our country, remember the soldiers that died to give me the freedoms that I enjoy so often without being thankful.
I don't know many soldiers personally, and I really have not the faintest idea what they go through for America. But after reading an article about Memorial Day (http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/daily-news-article/memorial-day-2010/), I wanted to honor them somehow. So this morning, I traversed through the cemetery, using that as my way of celebrating this weekend.
It was rather eerie when I first got out of the car and started walking around. Honestly, walking through a cemetery is not exactly something I would naturally choose to do. But after I got over my first squeamish feelings, I had an agreeable time exploring the tombstones, discovering some delightful things and many sad things.
I couldn't help but think about how much I would love to sit down and hear the stories of every single one of the people buried there. Think about how many memories were made and dreams fulfilled and life loved by each one of them, and how much wisdom they could impart to me!
Two tombstones in particular attracted and saddened me. Lying before me were the graves of two brothers, Samuel and Robert Carnahan, who died and the ages of 23 and 20 respectively. Oh, how I would love to learn how they lived and died!

Another one that saddened me was the grave of a two-year-old. I can't even imagine losing someone, especially at that age....
Fresh flowers and fake.
Big tombstones and little.
Decorated graves and lonely ones.
Hope and no hope.I know this is a rather morbid post, but I believe it is good to remember that our lives don't last forever, and how much we can be thankful for those who came before us, especially those who fought for the freedoms of our country.
Yet let us above all not forget that we have someone to remember that fought to give us the ultimate freedom: freedom from death. Jesus Christ has given us a hope that goes way beyond the grave. He is our Savior from death and the chains it wants to wrap us in.
HE has conquered the grave!
55"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?" 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:20-22, 55-58
This is such a neat post, Christa!! That's so neat how you went to a graveyard....I was in a graveyard on Memorial day too!! Isn't it amazing how many people have suffered and given their lives so that we might live in a free country? Wow! Praise the Lord!! He has truly blessed America, even though it can seem as though everything is failing!!
I love you sooooo much, my dear SIS!
With Love,
Letitia :-)